What is Digital 1 Media Services?

Digital 1 Media Services is a online music and film distribution company for labels, artists and independent film makers. We offer a host of label and artist services including digital and physical distribution, warehousing and shipping of CDs, DVDs and Vinyl’s, Music Publishing, Licensing, Film/TV distribution, Professional Mastering, Radio Promotions, Video Production and Graphics Design.

What can Digital 1 Media Services do for me as an independent label or artist?

  • Digital Distribution to our distribution partners such as iTunes, Amazon, YouTube, Rhapsody, eMusic and many more
  • Worldwide physical distribution for your CDs, DVDs and Vinyl
  • Access to over 20,000 retailers through our distribution partnership with AMPED Distribution
  • World Wide Administration Publishing
  • Professional Mastering
  • Internet Radio Promotions
  • Professional Video Production
  • Graphic design

Do we support Bands that outgrow the beginning Digital 1 Media Services model?

Yes, we are built for the beginning bands and we offer “professional” services for bands that outgrow the beginning model and grow into a Record Company.

How do I sign up?

Simple. Click here.

Can anyone sign up?

You must be at least 13 years old.

How does your music search work?

You can quickly and easily navigate our catalog by any audible criteria, performer or writer data, release information, or any combo of these. Our multi-faceted and indexed search allows you to drill down again and again until the perfect match is found!

Search descriptively by: Tempo, BPM, mood, key signature, mode (major/minor), rhythm complexity, timbre, vocal type, pitch and more.

You can also title your searches (i.e. Classic Rock, CSI Season 1) , save them, set alerts for when new tracks are added that meet your saved criteria or share your refined searches with others to get their feedback.  Music Search.

How does the money work for Digital 1 Retail?

  • Here’s how it works if you’ve selected Digital 1 Media Services package
  • You select your selling price at whatever you want for sales on Digital 1 Retail
  • We keep $4 of every CD, DVD or vinyl record sold on our on-line store
  • We keep 15% of all MP3 sales on d1retail.com
  • Downloads and streaming revenue from our digital partners like iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc. you keep 100% revenue.
  • Payment will be mailed to you or wired to your bank account every 1st of the month.

Is there a charge to deliver my CD to Digital 1 Retail?

No, but for every CD that comes in, we…

  • Scan the album cover- cropping, balancing, and tweaking the colors to make it look as good as we can
    resize the album cover into 3 different sizes for different uses on the web site
  • Convert the audio files on the CD into .WAV files – just for the songs and lengths you chose
  • Convert the .WAV files into MP3 files, then to lo-res MP3 files
  • Upload all the audio files to the server, create linking files to them, and update the database to say which tracks have been successfully uploaded
  • Create a web page just for your album. Don’t worry, we’ll send you an email when your music is live
  • Put you’re your music up on our new arrivals gallery
  • Ship product and file it in our warehouse, ready for shipping
    It’s about 45 minutes of work per CD, DVD and Vinyl

What form of payment do you accept for Digital 1 Media Services Packages?

Credit Card
Note – international money orders takes up to 30 days to process

Mailing Address:
Digital 1 Media Services
4661 Babcock St. NE.,
Ste. 18 #336
Palm Bay, FL 32905

How do I sign up my vinyl record or DVD on Digital 1 Media Services?

The signup process is very similar to sign up a CD. Click here and tell us about your album or DVD. Be sure to select “CD” ‘Vinyl” or “DVD” as the format. Please use the up loader to send us audio and artwork. Please note that if you plan on selling CDs of the same title, you’ll have to sign up as a separate submission and have separate UPC bar codes for each. You can, however, have digital distribution of your vinyl album as long as the digital track list is identical to the record.

Do I need to have a separate submission for my CD/Digital Download and vinyl record?

If the track list is different for vinyl & digital distribution, then yes, you will need to sign them up as separate submissions. If you would like to digitally distribute the (exact) same track list as your vinyl release, then it may be signed up as the same submission. You will need to send us artwork & audio for the submission through the up loader. If you cannot use the uploader, please send us an email (physical@d1ms.org) for an alternative submission method. Please note that you can sell one PHYSICAL format per submission. So if you’d like to sell CD’s, Vinyl or DVDs you would need to sign up each album separately.

Can I digital distribute my vinyl record and not sell a CD?

Yes, make sure the track list is (exactly) the same for the vinyl record and digital distribution, and then we can send the submission to our digital partners. You will need to send us artwork & audio for the submission through the uploader located in your member account. If you cannot use the uploader, please send us an email (physical@d1ms.org) for an alternative submission method.

Is my personal information secure?

Our site is secure, but only where you would enter any personal information. The secure pages on our site use a full 256-bit secure SSL connection to protect all your private information from snooping eyes. This is the same kind of online security system used by banks, so your info is totally secure!

Please know that keeping personal information secure is top priority here at Digital 1 Media Services. We will never give out or sell your personal information.

What if I need to cancel an album or single?

To cancel digital distribution, please log into your account and click the “view/edit” button next to the release you want to cancel. On the edit menu, under “Album info” or “Single info” choose “Cancel this album” or “Cancel this single”.

Fill out the form and submit.

We will issue take-down notices to our partners and your content will be removed from their sites within 30 days.
Cancellation is permanent and irreversible. You may not cancel multiple releases at once. You will need to cancel each title individually. To cancel physical distribution, please email us at physical@d1ms.org and let us know that you’d like to cancel and what you’d like us to do with your CDs. We can either recycle them or send them back to you with a shipping cost. If you choose to have them sent back to you, please provide the address where you’d like them sent and we’ll get back to you with a quote for shipping.


What do I need to know about YouTube audio video on your site?

Every album on d1retail.com has a YouTube audio video for customers to listen to before buying.


How many copies should I send?

Only mail 5 retail-ready copies of your album/DVD or Vinyl to start

“Retail-ready” means your physical is assembled in its case shrink wrapped if possible, ready to be sold to customers right away. If you’ve uploaded your album covers artwork, the covers of your physical product MUST MATCH the image you uploaded. We cannot accept plain disc without album cover artwork.

When we receive orders and we email you requesting more, please only send the numbers of copies requested.

If you think we are going to need more, we understand. There are exceptions so if you have an extreme situation please call/email us first. Our goal is to have a 1-2 month supply so you won’t have to go to the post office every week. If you’re selling copies like hotcakes, our inventory manager will advise you on how many to send.

If you send way too many, like if our inventory manager requested 3 CDs/DVD’s and you mailed us 25, we will have to ship 22 CDs/DVD’s back to you (at your expense) or recycle them. We love all of our artists and want to give everyone a fair shake (and space on our shelves).

How should I mail physical stock to the warehouse?

Please be sure to pack your items with sufficient padding in a sturdy box and use the best shipping method you can afford. Corners of cardboard CD sleeves and vinyl sleeves bend easily, so you may want to reinforce your packaging around these areas.

We cannot accept product that is marked as promotional material, e.g. holes punched through the barcode, case, or artwork; inked or scratched out barcodes; or notches cut out of the case spine and artwork. In addition, the words “promotional copy” cannot appear anywhere on the product.

If your items arrive damaged, we will not be able to use them as sellable inventory and will not be able to return them to you.

Don’t use expensive express mail unless you’re backordered. Save the money. We want you to make a profit.

If you are going to send payment in the same package as CDs, be sure to put the payment between CD cases, and put a rubber band around the CDs.


Digital 1 Media Services Warehouse
2305 North West 30th Place
Pompano Beach, FL 33069

Do we report sales to SoundScan?

Yes, we report all CD sales of albums with a bar code that are selling through our on-line store to SoundScan on a weekly basis. You can register directly with SoundScan to make sure that your sales are properly credited to you. Here’s their website – http://titlereg.soundscan.com/soundscantitlereg.

In addition to physical CD sales, we also report digital album and single-song sales that are selling on our on-line store to SoundScan.

What is the $5 sales bin and how does it work?

If a customer buys 3 or more different titles from our $5 Sales Bin, they get each CD for $5. Otherwise, the albums sell for their normal selling price. You can list your album as part of this sale from within your members account. If it sells at the normal selling price, we keep $4 and you keep the rest. If a customer purchases your album from the $5 Sales Bin, we only keep $2 and you’re paid $3. This sale only works for physical CDs, DVDS or Vinyl’s not digital downloads.

Are my digital download sales reported to SoundScan?

Yes. We report all digital albums and single-song downloads purchased from d1retail.com to SoundScan on a weekly basis. You can register directly with SoundScan to make sure that your sales are properly credited to you. Here’s their website –http://titlereg.soundscan.com/soundscantitlereg.


What is iTunes™ Match (iTunes™ in the Cloud), and how does it work?

iTunes™ Match allows users to store all their digital music (including songs they’ve imported from CDs) in the cloud. This way, users can access their entire music library wherever they go; their music won’t be tethered to one device or computer.

iTunes™ will determine which songs in their music collection are available in the iTunes™ Store; those tracks will automatically be added to the iCloud for them to listen to on any device that supports iTunes™.

How much will I make from iTunes™ Match for the use of my content?

iTunes™ will issue payment for every play that takes place through iTunes™ Match. The per-play rate varies based on subscription revenue, exchange rates, and total number of plays. Pay rates should look similar to streaming services such as Spotify.

What about cover songs in iTunes™ Match? What are my responsibilities as the artist?

If you receive payment for a cover song, you are obligated to remit payment to the publisher(s), in the amount of 12% of the wholesale amount paid for iTunes™ Match US transactions. To calculate this, divide your total iTunes™ Match US payments by 91%, and multiply that amount by 12%.

Can I opt out of participating in iTunes™ Match?

No. You would have to end your distribution to iTunes™ in full.

When will I see iTunes™ Match payments in my account?

iTunes™ Match payments will be reported at the same time as your regular monthly iTunes™ sales, but under a separate partner name (iTunes™ Match – Country)

Why can’t I use more than one digital distribution company for my album?

Just like in the physical world, there can’t be more than one music distributor bringing the same album to the same store. Otherwise, when the album sells, how would the store know which distributor to pay?

We will never prevent you from doing anything you want with your music.

For YOUR sake, though, please note: If you sign two digital distribution deals with two companies that will both be sending the same album to iTunes™, Rhapsody, etc. – this will hurt you, because the retailer will usually remove the album completely until you decide which distributor has the exclusive right to be selling that album through them.

What digital distribution retailers is Digital 1 Media Services currently partnered with?

Click here to see our current list of distribution partners.

How long does it take for you to start sending my music to the digital distribution partners?

Once you and our team have both approved your album or single for release, we’ll begin delivering your music immediately. After that, it will only take a few days to get on iTunes. For our other digital distribution partners, times vary according to their processing speeds. Most of our partners post new content for sale on their sites 1-4 weeks after delivery. Please keep this in mind if you are planning a release date.

How long does it take to show up on the music services once you deliver it?

Each company is different. iTunes™ usually takes a few days. It can take several weeks to several months for some of our other partners to post your music for sale on their site. Once we send it to them, it’s out of our hands and they do what they can to get it imported and active in their service. We push them to get it added as soon as possible, and they always do it as soon as they can.

Will you tell me when my music is up on their site?

We wish we could. Almost none of these companies let us know when your music is active! We’re surprised and disappointed at this, and hope it will change some day. But for now, we don’t know when your music is active on their site.

How much will I be paid for digital sales?

Every one of our digital music partners pays differently, but the average we pay out is 60 cents per song downloaded $6.50 per full-album download, and fractions or whole cents per stream (when people listen to your song as if on a radio station, but don’t download or buy it). Remember we pay you 91% of the total income from digital distribution, keeping only a 9% cut.

My friend downloaded my song yesterday – when do I see that in my report – and get paid?

Most companies only report to us every 1 – 3 months. Apple, for example, sends us the monthly report about 4-6 weeks after the month is finished. Meaning: you won’t see your January sales until the first week of March. Some companies report a full 3 months after the quarter is done.

I spelled one of my track titles wrong, can this be fixed with digital distribution partners?

We are able to make a few very small corrections with most of our partners. If you notice something wrong with one of your albums on a partner site, please file a ticket through the “report a problem” section in your member dashboard. Please note that we can make some corrections to the text on the partner page, we cannot not make any changes to the album. For example: if your track title is misspelled, our partners will let us fix that. If you want to change your artist name or artwork to something new, you would need to submit a new album.

But don’t worry! Before we send your album off to our partners, not only do we inspect it closely to be sure that all the info is correct (publishers, composers, bar code), we give you a final chance to approve all your album info. Once you’ve approved your digital release, the info is locked for our partners.

Can I release just a single into digital distribution?

Yes! For a low signup fee of $8.99 you can sell a single through our digital distribution program. Sign up here.

How much will my double album sell for?

In your members account you will mark the “volume designation” for each album you submit. If you have a double disc, it’d be a 2-volume set. 3 discs? 3-volume. Etc. We will send your album to our digital distribution partners with that info and they will charge according to their own pricing structures. However, most of our digital distribution partners do NOT charge higher prices for a multi-volume set. So chances are that a multi-volume album will sell for the same price as a standard album.

My album has songs over 10 minutes long, will they be available for $0.99?

Most digital retailers do not take into consideration track length when pricing songs in their store. For example, if you submit an album with one track that is one hour in length, it will download for the same price as a 2-3 minute song. Some services can make an exception, and will offer such songs as “Album Only” (meaning that the song can only be purchased with the rest of the album as a whole), and iTunes™ even does it automatically for all songs over 10 minutes long.

It’s very important that when you’re signing up your album if you have any special needs for songs of extended length. You can do this on the “Extended Track Pricing” page in the sign up section. We can then set up your album so that it is delivered only to sites that allow for “Album Only” classification. Unfortunately, if arrangements aren’t made before the album is delivered, all songs over 10 minutes long will download at a standard price everywhere but iTunes™.

Can I customize my digital distribution and choose which retailers I want to carry my music?

Yes, we have two ways of doing that from within your member account. The more general way of customizing your digital distribution you can select a distribution level. Your options are:

Digital 1 Media Services only – No digital distribution, but your album will be available for download on d1retail.com Downloads Only (iTunes, Amazon, Digital 1 Retail, and more) – Downloads (with and without cloud-access features) only, including iTunes, Amazon MP3, Google Play and more. No subscription services that provide users with access to tracks they haven’t bought or previously owned.

Downloads + Streaming services (Includes all download partners, plus services like Spotify, Rdio, and more) – Includes sites that pay less than traditional models for streaming and downloads, as well as all download and streaming sites plus companies like Spotify, Deezer, eMusic and more.

Do it all. Even unpaid – Includes places that offer free downloads and streaming.

Need even more control? You can easily set “restrictions” when you’re signing the album up to notify us that you would not like your music to be delivered to specific digital retailers or specific regions of the world.

What formats and bit rates are my songs being converted to?

Many! It is different for every digital distribution partner. But rest assured that we send each of our partners the highest quality files possible.

How do I sign up a multi-disc/volume album?

Is your album two or more discs long? When you are signing it up with us, there will be an option to select how many discs or volumes it is.
Most of our digital partners will price your album as their standard retail price for a full album times the number of discs/volumes.

Why shouldn’t I upload MP3s?

Every file is encoded and any quality reduction is locked in. We encode many different formats for our various digital partners. If you upload MP3 files (which are not full quality) the files we send to our partners will not only have the inherent quality loss of the format we encode to, but will also have the quality loss of the format you sent us.
So uploading MP3s is kind of like taking a picture of a picture with a digital camera and emailing it to us. Then when we encode it to send it to partners, it’s like we print out the picture of a picture, take a picture of it with a digital camera, and email it to them. It makes much more sense if you send us the original picture, i.e. FLAC or WAV files.

I have a CD that blends each track together (i.e., DJ mix). Will it stay like that on your digital partner sites?

No, when an album is sent to us on CD, or uploaded through your member account, we will deliver it to our partner companies using whatever track markers you have assigned. We cannot deliver the tracks so that they seamlessly blend together like they do when the CD is played. Your fans will have the option to download just one song or the entire album from our digital partners & there may be a small space that separates each track during playback. If you’d like to sell a continuous mix on CD but have we digitally delivered a version with tracks that don’t blend together, please email us at digital@d1ms.org for further instructions.

What kind of audio file should I upload?

Upload a high quality file in either WAV or FLAC file format. File must be stereo, 44.1 kHz sample rate, and 16bit.
You can also upload an MP3 that meets the same specifications, but it isn’t recommended because the sound quality will be diminished. File names can only include letters & numbers, hyphens (-), and underscores (_). Any other special characters (!,@,#,$,%,^,&,*,?,+,=,~,/,<,>,\ ) may cause problems.

Can Digital 1 Media Services deliver my ringtone album to iTunes™?

Yes, we can deliver ringtone albums to iTunes™. While iTunes™ does have a dedicated storefront for pre-cut ringtones, we do currently deliver this type of album to their service. If you sign up a ringtone album (full of snippets or 30-sec tracks), we can deliver it to the iTunes™ store.
Who do you consider the “composer” and where do I enter that information in my account?
A “composer” is someone who contributed to the writing of the music and/or lyrics of a composition/song. If you’re distributing a version of a song you did not write, to ensure quick distribution and legal compliance, it is important that you list the names of the original composers. To list the composer names:

Log into your Digital 1 Media Services member account HERE.
Click “view/edit” next to the appropriate album/single
Under the section called “More album/single track info…,” click “Composer
Under the section called “More album/single track info…,” click “Composer

What is “Public Domain” and how do I know if a particular composition falls within it?

If a song’s music & lyrics were published before January 1, 1923, then the song is considered in the Public Domain in the US. Please visit pdinfo.com to learn more about Public Domain works and see a list of songs that qualify. It’s important to know that if a work falls within the Public Domain, only that exact version is not protected under US copyright law. Other people may have created arrangements of that work that ARE under copyright. Do your research!

What kinds of things are not allowed in my artwork, according to your digital retail partners’ guidelines?

Our digital partners’ artwork guidelines do not allow the attributes listed below. We will need a replacement file if artwork displays any of the following:
Website URL
Social network symbols or information (i.e., Facebook links, Twitter handles, etc).
Contact information (i.e., email addresses, phone number)
Pornographic images
Pricing information
Copyrighted images
Scan of a CD (it must be retail-ready artwork)
UPC barcodes
Tribute albums where the original artist name is as large as or larger than the performing artist
The cover art refers to physical or digital versions of the album (i.e., CD, Disc, Digital Exclusive, Digital Version, etc.)
The cover image is blurry, pixilated or has other quality issues
The cover art promises content that the album doesn’t contain (i.e., “includes DVD”, “includes free stickers”, etc.)
The cover art up-sells to another product (i.e., merch, other albums by same artist, etc.)
The cover art claims to be an exclusive of one of our digital partners without their permission (i.e., iTunes™ Exclusive, Only on Amazon MP3, etc.)

Why does the information I provided in my account need to match my artwork?

It’s important that the information you’ve provided for your album is supported by your cover art, and vice versa. If your group name is entered in your member account as “Chris Robley & the Fear of Heights,” the same group name should appear on your cover art (not just “Chris Robley”). Such discrepancies can cause confusion, and our digital partners have requested we double-check this before delivering your album to their stores.
Why can’t I use my record label or a description of my music as my artist name?

An artist name should reflect the actual performing artist or group, and not be a description of the music itself (i.e., Music for Relaxation, Comedy Music, Generic Record Label Presents, etc.). A description of the music is more appropriately entered in the album name, or as the genre. This will help brand yourself as an artist, as well as avoid confusion for your fans when searching for your albums on digital retail sites.

Why should I avoid generic track titles?

Track titles can’t be overly generic. They must have a unique name. For example, don’t name your tracks Beat 1, Instrumental 2, Track 3, etc. This doesn’t help your fans identify your track in their music library, and can be confusing. It’s important that each track be called something that helps your fans know the music is yours!
How do I differentiate two different versions of the same song on an album?

Each track on an album should have its own unique title, or language that distinguishes it as a unique version of another song on the same album. The information that identifies a track as a unique version should appear after the track title in parenthesis (i.e., Track Title (Live)). Examples of differentiating titles can include, but are not limited to:

How do I list my artist names if there are multiple performing artists?

If your album has 4 or more performing artists listed on the tracks (i.e., a compilation), then it must include “Various Artists” as the album’s artist name. The artist name for the tracks should then list out every performing artist on each track. This is a requirement of some our digital partner sites.

What are the artwork guidelines for tribute and karaoke albums?

Tribute: The guidelines for hoe to properly format a tribute album’s artwork & basic album info are as follows:
A tribute album’s cover art must list the performance artists name as large as, or larger than, the original artist name.

Why is it important to list explicit content correctly?

Many of our digital partners have parental controls available that will prevent explicit content from being displayed to children who visit their store. It is a requirement that explicit tracks are correctly labeled when an album is signed-up with us for distribution. Failure to correctly identify explicit content may result in your album being removed from one or more of our partner stores after it have been delivered.

How do I list additional artists that are featured on particular tracks?

Compound Artist: Only one performing artist name should be listed per artist name field. Having two or more performing artists listed in the same artist name field impairs an album’s ability to appear correctly in search results as well as how it will display within our digital partners’ stores. When signing-up your album, use the “additional artist” icon to add more artist fields to correctly enter each performing artist separately as a primary artist. This does not apply to a group, which can be entered in its entirety in the same artist field (i.e., Brooks & Dunn, Chris Robley & the Fear of Heights, etc). Group names do not have to be separated into their own artist field.

Featuring Artists: If there are featuring artists on your album, they must be properly identified when you enter your album information during sign-up. To add featuring artists to a track, use the “additional artist” icon to add more artist fields and enter the featured artist name separately. When we deliver the album to our digital partners, the featuring artist name will correctly appear in the track title. For example, “Track Title (feat. This Artist).” If there is more than one featured artist on a track, you can keep adding new artist fields using the “additional artist” icon. Multiple featured artists will be correctly listed in the track title when delivered to our digital partners. For example, “Track Title (feat. This Artist, That Artist & One Last Artist).”

How do I properly format the information if my album contains “Meets, Presents, or Versus” as it relates to the performing artists?

Meets or Versus: When signing-up a submission with “Meets” or “Versus” it is important to list each artist in the track title, as well as in the artist field as a primary artist. When being entered in the track name, the artists should appear in parentheses. For example:
Track Title (Artist 1 vs. Artist 2)

Track Title (Artist 1 Meets Artist 2)

Presents: An album with a non-performing presenting artist should include the presenting artist name only in parentheses in the album/track name. If the presenting artist also performs on the album/track, then the artist name must also be entered in the artist field as a primary artist. In both cases, the presenting artist must be entered in the artist/track name. For example, Track Title (Artist 1 Presents Artist 2), Album Title (Artist 1 Presents Artist 2), etc.

How should I format my track title for a medley?

Each song listed in the track title for a medley must be spaced and separated by a forward slash. If you’d like to use the word “medley” in the track title, it must be placed either at the beginning of the track title and followed by a colon, or placed at the end of the track title in parentheses.
For example:
Song 1 / Song 2 / Song 3
Song 1 / Song 2 / Song 3 (Medley)
Medley: Song 1 / Song 2 / Song 3
Medley Title: Song 1 / Song 2 / Song 3

How should I format the artist name of a Classical album?

On a Classical album, the full artist name must be entered. (No abbreviations or commas can be used.) For example:
“Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart” is correct.
“Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus” is not correct.

How should I format the album title of a Classical album?

The album title for a Classical album should include the last name of the composer, followed by the work title. (It is also acceptable to use the first initial of the composer followed by the last name, followed by the work title.) For example:
Mozart: “Toy” Symphony in G Major
J. Bach: Trio sonata in C Minor
If there are two composers and the work is in the same genre and/or style of pieces, then both composers can be listed before the work title.

For example:
Mozart & Haydn: String Quartets
If the pieces are different from each other, then they must be separated by a hyphen.
For example:
Allegri: Miserere – Palestrina: Missa Papae Marcelli
If there are different works by many composers on an album, then all composers should be listed in the work title.
For example:
Composer 1: Piece – Composer 2: Piece – Composer 3: Piece

How should I format an Opera title?

The title of an opera must be included in each track title from that opera.
For example:
Title of Opera: “Title of Track”

Why can’t I just list what is on my sheet music?

The formatting that our digital partners require might not always be exactly the same as the descriptions that your sheet music provides. We need you to format the information for your classical tracks to our digital partners’ standard classical format.

How do I correctly enter composers for a Classical album?

If you are signing-up a classical album, it is required that the full composer name is entered in the ALBUM TRACK INFO section of your members account. For example, “Johann Sebastian Bach” or “Ludwig van Beethoven” is correct and “JS Bach” or “Beethoven” is not. You can also reference a list of full composer names by using Baker’s Biographical Dictionary of Musicians or Cambridge Who’s who.
How do I format song titles for Classical albums?
Song titles for Classical albums must follow a standard format, which is:
Name of Work, Key, and Catalogue Number: Movement Number. Movement Title
For example:
Piano Sonata No. 11 in A Major, K 331: II. Menuetto

Who should I list in the artist field on a Classical album?

For classical albums, it is required that all performing artists or key contributors to a work be listed in the artist field. This can include such roles as Symphonies, Orchestras, Choirs, Conductors, Ensemble (e.g., String Quartet), and Featured Soloists.

Why can’t I distribute Chinese content?

Unfortunately, we don’t support distribution for Chinese language content. However, you can still distribute Chinese language content through us if the metadata is written in another primary language. Also, we can distribute Chinese content to our Chinese distributor for distribution in China only and not North America.

Many of the guidelines and requirements that shape our delivery of digital music have changed (including metadata, album titling, etc.) — and Chinese language content specifically requires a strict formatting process which we are currently unable to accommodate.

We are constantly striving to improve our delivery processes and ability to serve our amazing artists, and we expect that this lapse in service for Chinese content will be temporary.

In the meantime, if you’d still like to distribute this content we’d be happy to do so for you if the metadata and artwork is given to us in another primary language. Please do keep in mind, however, that all of the titles, album details, and artwork must match what is provided in your members account. In other words, the album info/metadata must match what appears on the album artwork.

How do I claim my Artist Profile on Apple Music?

If you already have content that is available on the iTunes Store or on the Apple Music streaming service, it’s super easy to claim your Artist Profile. Simply visit iTunes Connect to get started. All you need is the same Apple ID (email address) that you use to purchase music and download apps from the iTunes Store. Don’t have an Apple ID? Don’t worry; you can create one via the iTunes Connect site (linked above) as well.

Have more questions? Find more answers on Apple Music Connects FAQ.

Why am I unable to claim my profile on Apple Music? Or why is it saying my profile has already been claimed?

You’ll want to reach out to Apple Support for assistance. Simply submit a request to Apple and be sure to include a link to your iTunes Artist Store for the content you wish to claim. Also, don’t forget to include your Apple ID in your request.

Find the Apple help desk link for your language Apple Music Connects FAQ.


what is a UPC bar code and why do I need one?

A UPC bar code is a unique 12-digit serial number that identifies your specific product (in this case, an album) among all the other products on the marketplace. You need a UPC if you want to:

Have Digital 1 Media Services report your sales to SoundScan.

If you already have a UPC code for your album, you can use that one. If not, you can easily purchase one from us.
We can make you your own permanent UPC bar code for only $20 for an album, $5 for a single song.
You may have heard that UPC bar codes cost $750. You could go register as a company with the GS1 US organization, and pay them $750 to be a GS1 US member. They would assign you a UPC prefix, and you could release thousands of products under that company registration. But most of us independent artists are only going to release a few records – and paying $750 wipes out all the profit you’d make from your first 100 album sales. So – Digital 1 Media Services has paid the $750, and can give you your own unique UPC bar code for only $20 for an album, $5 for a single song. It will be entirely yours, forever. When your bar code on your CD is scanned by a retail store, it will show up on the register as YOUR album, YOUR band, YOUR record company. Not Digital 1 Media Services. If you want to do this, you need to be a Digital 1 Media Services member. If you sign up now, give us the information about your CD, pay the $20 for an album or $5 for a single song, then we can make your UPC bar code now, and you’ll be ready-to-go on Digital 1 Media Services when your CDs get back from the factory. If you’re already a Digital 1 Media Services member, login to pay for it, and we’ll do the rest. It takes just a few hours for us to make your bar code, so watch your email after you pay. We give you a BITMAP graphic file, which you can either place into your album art, or print onto stickers. We don’t do the printing for you. We just give you the unique UPC bar code graphic and digits.

Why is it NOT OK for me to change my album’s UPC bar code?

A UPC bar code identifies an individual product in the marketplace. If you want SoundScan to track each sale, then you should purchase a valid unique bar code for your album/single and have all sales tallied and reported according to THAT serial number. It is acceptable to have different bar codes for different formats of the same album: vinyl, download, CD, etc. However, if you assign another album’s bar code to a new release, combine two bar code numbers, or make up an invalid bar code number, you may be removed from Digital 1 Media Services or any of our third party distributors (digital and in-store). Using an incorrect or invalid bar code causes serious confusion for our distribution partners and can potentially limit another artist’s ability to have their sales reported accurately.


Can I sell full-album AND single-song downloads on d1retail.com?

Yes. You customize it how you like. You can sell music both ways, as an album-only download, or opt to NOT sell downloads at all. It is all up to you.

Can I set my own price?

Yes. You choose how much you’d like to sell your downloads for. You can also have a different selling price for each individual track.

Here’s exactly how to do a “digital only” release:

Sign it up at Digital 1 Media Services like any other album.
Pay the setup cost, and if you don’t have your own unique bar code for this new release, have us make you one for $20.

Use the upload button while you are sending us the data, music and artwork, OR burn one finished, mastered copy of your music onto a regular audio CD-R. (NO mp3 or aiff. Just regular wave or audio CD.) If you burn a disc, mail that one CD to us with a note explaining that it is for digital distribution only. IMPORTANT NOTE: please do NOT send us one of the master copies of your CD (that you’d get back from your mastering engineer), as we do not send the CDs back, except upon request, and it will likely be recycled after 6 months. We will create a page on Digital 1 Retail with a “Buy” button for your fans to purchase and download your album. We digitize it and distribute it to all of the usual digital distribution outlets. Voila! There’s your digital-only release.

If you would like to customize your digital distribution options, (“Hey, I only want to be available at iTunes™”, “I want to be available at every download retailer you work with except ones in Japan”, etc.) we’d be happy to accommodate your needs. In the process of signing up your album for digital distribution, you’ll be able to set restrictions and tell us not to send your album to specific territories or even specific companies.
Also, if you want to sell downloads only on d1retail.com (and NOT on iTunes™, Rhapsody, etc.), you can set your distribution percentage to Digital 1 Media Services Only. Then we’ll post those MP3s for sale on our website, but nowhere else.

If you decide to send us physical stock later, we will automatically start selling those as well. Just be sure the art and songs on the physical CD match what we are already selling for download.

Do I need to own the rights to the music I’m selling?

Yes. You must either own the rights or be properly authorized to sell the music on behalf of the copyright holder. For answers to more specific questions about rights, licenses, samples, and cover songs, please check the FAQ for digital distribution above.

Will my MP3s on d1retail.com be high quality?

Yes. We encode your MP3s using the default setting of the LAME encoder. This creates roughly 200kbps VBR files.

How much will I be paid for downloads on d1retail.com?

If you chose the Standard or Digital 1 Media Services distribution package, you will be paid 91% of all download sales on d1retail.com — the highest payout rate of any digital retailer


Do I need to own all the rights to the music I’m selling?


You must own the copyright for the sound recordings or have the authority or permission from the owner(s).

If you didn’t write the song/composition, that’s OK, but you must find out who the copyright owners are, and pay the publisher their mechanical royalties the same way you would for CDs sold, but based on your download/sales activity.

If you have samples in your music, they must all be legally cleared and paid-for. No “mix tapes” of other people’s music, even if you are mixing in your own music.

It’s VERY important you have all rights and permission! Files distributed on the internet are watched very carefully by lawyers. You can’t just “get away with it”. Do everything thoroughly and legit.

If you have cover songs (artist performing someone else’s songs) on your CD, please make sure you read the answer to the next few questions, too.

How can I sell an album that has cover songs?

You have two options. Handle it yourself, or have an agency like Easy Song Licensing or Loudr.fm to help you acquire the proper mechanical licenses. Should you choose to go it alone rather than working with our recommended company partners, here is an example of how to go about it:

Please note that the below is not official legal advice, it is ONLY for the U.S.A., we are not your lawyers, and you should always contact your attorney before entering into any contract such as a license.

You must follow these steps BEFORE you make your recording available for distribution to the public!

If you record a cover version of a song, (meaning your performance of a song that has been released in the U.S. with consent of the copyright owner), you are entitled by law to release your recording commercially, and the owner of the copyright to the song cannot prevent you from doing so.

The Copyright Act provides for what is called a “Compulsory License” for downloads and CD sales, which means that if you follow the steps set forth by statute, you can distribute your recording of that song on a CD or over the internet. This Compulsory License is only available for sales in the United States. Other uses of masters, such as streaming, conditional downloads, and the like, are not subject to a Compulsory License. A separate license from the publisher is needed in those cases.

The following details the procedure for individuals to obtain a compulsory license to digitally distribute cover songs over the Internet to end users in the United States:

Identify the Copyright Owner – the publisher

The first step is to identify the owner(s) of the copyright to the song. The publisher. The easiest way to do this is to search the song writer/publisher databases, here:
U.S. Copyright Office

What IS a cover song?

A cover song is your recording of a song that you didn’t write
… assuming that song had previously been released in the USA
… with consent of the copyright owner (the songwriter/publisher)
Examples: You recording your version of a Bob Dylan or Cole Porter song, or a song you have to pay the publisher (copyright owner) to create copies of.

What is NOT a cover song?

A song you wrote
A song you co-wrote with someone
A song someone gave you permission to record and release, but has never been recorded and released before.
An old song that is now in public domain (like classical music or songs before 1923)
An old traditional song (like Ave Maria or Amazing Grace)
A song you don’t have to pay to create copies of.

What do you mean by “PUBLISHER”?

The publisher is the owner of the copyright to a song (The song, not the recording. Just the words and music. Melody, harmony, lyrics.).

If you or a songwriter you know has never signed away their publishing rights to a publishing deal, then the songwriter IS the publisher.

Don’t get this word confused with a sheet music publisher or CD manufacturer. It has nothing to do with that. In this case “publisher” just means “copyright owner of the song itself”.

Why do you say ASCAP, BMI, or Harry Fox are not the Publisher?
ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, Harry Fox, SOCAN – are NOT publishers!
ASCAP, BMI and SESAC are three companies in America that collect the broadcast (“performing rights”) money for songwriters, so they can get paid for their music being used on radio and TV broadcasts. We don’t need to know if a song is ASCAP or BMI. They don’t matter here.

How do I find the publisher?

It’s usually listed in the album credits in the original (or cover) version of a song.
Example: go to ascap.com and type “Purple Rain” (with NO quotes!) in the search box, change the check box to say “Titles”, and click [search]. In this case, the song “Purple Rain” has two co-publishers: Controversy Music c/o Universal Music Publishing Group – and W B Music Corp c/o Warner Bros Inc.

NOTE: We’re forcing you to find these for your own good! We didn’t NEED to be so strict about this.

The contract you signed said you had taken care of all of this already AND gotten permission from the publisher!
… but we realized a lot of people didn’t actually get permission first, so we’re trying to help keep you out of trouble.

The copyright police might not break down your door and stop you from burning a CD of you singing “Purple Rain”, but they will find you much easier and even sue you if you released your version of “Purple Rain” without sending notice to Controversy Music c/o Universal Music Publishing Group – and W B Music Corp c/o Warner Bros Inc. – and paying your 9.1 cents per copy sold.

How do I clear samples?

Talk to a lawyer about sample clearance, but do NOT sign up for digital distribution until you’ve paid the copyright owner for permission, or else some mean nasty lawyers will sue you.

Isn’t all this publishing and copyright business an awful lot of work?

If you haven’t already secured the mechanical licenses for the songs it might be a little bit of work (but no more than writing your liner notes) — but that the work of securing those mechanical licenses is absolutely necessary.

Do you report sales to SoundExchange?

No. You might be thinking of SoundScan (and we DO report sales to SoundScan). SoundExchange, on the other hand, collects digital performance royalties for sound recordings from satellite and internet radio stations, as well as cable TV music channels, and pays labels and artists when their music is played.


Your system won’t take my bar code! What’s up with that?

First: make sure you’re entering exactly 12 or 13 numbers. If it’s telling you the bar code you’re entering is already taken, make sure you have not used that same bar code yourself on another album. If not, let us know the code and we’ll try to help.

I entered “none” or “unknown” for the composer or publisher, but you still won’t take it! Why?

If it’s an old traditional song (say, over 100 years old), then you can put “traditional” as the composer, and “public domain” as the publisher. If it’s NOT an old traditional song, but you just don’t know who wrote it, you need to do more research! You’re not supposed to be recording and releasing someone else’s song without paying the copyright owner of that song anyway, so if you don’t know who it is, you’re probably breaking the copyright law and we can’t be putting that out into the lawyer-infested waters of digital distribution, until you do things correctly.

What if I have cover songs on my album?

It’s easier than you think. You have permission, by law! You just need to NOTIFY the publisher, as described above.
I already got permission for my cover song when I pressed my CD. Am I covered for downloads, too?
You need two different permissions for CD sales and digital sales. You can visit our partners at Easy Song Licensing and Loudr.fm to get the DPDs (the mechanical licenses for digital sales). For more information, check out the info listed under “How can I sell an album that has cover songs?” above.

I want to make some updates to my CD – add new songs, give it a new album cover, use my new name. Is that possible?

From our computer’s point of view, that’s a new album. New songs = new album = new submission needed. If you’ve really changed your existing album so much, then sign up the new one as a new album, and once it’s up and selling, pull down the old one.

Can I sign up some, but not every song from my CD?

Nope. Sorry. For now, we can only do your entire CD. If you were only considering this because you didn’t want to include a cover-song, then please reconsider: cover songs are usually the top-selling songs on an album! Remember in this song-based search, people are searching for song titles they know, and cover songs are a great way to introduce them to the rest of your music.

If you really feel strongly about making some, but not every, song on your album available digitally, you’ll have to sign up a new album for digital distribution. Sign up the second album the same way you did the first, the new album with a new title.

What about the bonus tracks on my CD?

If they’re not listed on my CD artwork, do they go to digital distribution?
If you want a song to go out to digital distribution, you must give us all of its info like the name of the song, the composer, the publisher, etc. For obvious legal reasons, we can’t sell a “secret” song. If you really want a song to remain a secret bonus track on your CD, you will need to upload your audio files and leave the song off of your track list. If we rip your music from a CD you’ve sent in, we will deliver that track to our digital partners.

Where are the ISRC codes you assigned to my songs?

Log in to your account, and click “view/edit” for the album or single you’d like to view. From the album/single edit menu, you’ll see a section called “Digital Distribution.” The link to view your ISRC codes is right under the “Digital Distribution” section header. The codes will be available to view once you’ve paid for your submission.


What is a trending report?

A trending report is a downloadable file that will give you a glimpse into your unofficial sales activity for all iTunes™ territories where your music is being sold. All sales in these reports are subject to change and are not a safe prediction of what your final monthly sales will be.

How do I download a trending report?

Log into your Digital 1 Media Services members account, click the “Accounting Overview” button and then click “Weekly Trending Reports” in the left navigation. Select the week you’d like to download a report for and then click the “Download” button. Downloads are .txt files that can be opened in any spreadsheet program.

How accurate is a trending report?

A trending report is exactly what it claims to be, a measure of trends. While you can view some detailed transaction information (tracks/albums downloaded, customer info, etc.), the trending reports will differ from official sales reports for several reasons, including: iTunes™ customers may take advantage of the “complete my album” program a later time iTunes customers may return a purchase Months are not divided evenly into weeks and iTunes accounting months do not match calendar months

Does the trending report cover all territories?

Yes. The trending reports cover all iTunes™ territories where your music is available for sale.

What do the two-letter country codes in my report correspond to?

The two-letter country codes are ISO 3166-1-alpha-2 codes. A complete list of these codes and the countries they correspond to can be found here: http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes.htm

Do you have trending reports for other partners?

Currently, we only have trending reports available for iTunes™.

How can I be sure this is legit?

Well, as we mentioned above, a trending report should not be used as an indicator of official sales, but these reports come directly from iTunes™ and are provided as a helpful tool for all of their content providers. We just download the files and transmit them directly for you.

How is this different from a sales report?

A trending report is exactly what it claims to be, a measure of trends. While you can view some detailed transaction information (tracks/albums downloaded, customer info, etc.), the trending reports will differ from official sales reports for several reasons, including:
iTunes™ customers may take advantage of the “complete my album” program at a later time
iTunes™ customers may return a purchase
Months are not divided evenly into weeks and iTunes™ accounting months do not match calendar months


What is your physical distribution program?

Through Digital 1 Media Services partnerships with AMPED Distribution and Super D, we can make your CD, Vinyl or DVD available to retail stores and on-line retailers worldwide.

I already have in-store distribution! Won’t this cause me problems?

No. Don’t worry. If partners receive info about your album from Digital 1 Media Services, and it is already in their database from another distributor, they will typically ignore the info we send them, and give the other distributor preference.

I have an exclusive deal with someone else. Do I have to quit Digital 1 Media Services?

No. Don’t worry. This is totally optional. We don’t have to send your info to partners if you don’t want us to. Just opt out of our physical distribution program when you’re signing up your album.

Why set a partner distribution discount?

Setting a partner distribution discount allows us to:
Price your CD/DVD competitively
Encourage retailer participation in our program

Digital 1 Media Services recommends setting a partner distribution discount. Discounts encourage wholesaler/retailer participation and help those partners price your content competitively. The payment to you for physical product sales will be calculated by subtracting from the Digital 1 Media Services List Price (I) any partner/wholesale discount; (II) additional fees if required (e.g., sales tax), and (III) the $4 Digital 1 Media Services minimum.

How should I set my partner discount?

We strongly recommend setting a minimum partner distribution discount of 20%. This allows you to maximize the number of retail channels where we can competitively offer your CD/DVD. This allows us to compete with dynamic retail pricing, particularly in the on-line universe.

Can I set my retail list price?

Your list price at retail and on-line stores will be set based on the discount you offer, and it may be different than the Digital 1 Media Services list price. Generally, the higher the discount you set, the lower the retail list price can be.

If I set a partner distribution discount, how much do I get paid?

The payment to you for physical product sales will be calculated by subtracting from the Digital 1 Media Services List Price (I) any partner/wholesale discount; (II) additional fees if required (e.g., sales tax), and (III) the $4 Digital 1 Media Services minimum.

When do I get paid for retail distribution sales?

Payment from partners may be received either at the point we ship them your titles or at the point they ship your title to their customers, depending on our sales terms. In either case, we will continue to pay you monthly for sales on receipt of payment from our partners.

My CD doesn’t have a bar code printed on the back of the artwork. Is that a problem for Digital 1 Media Services partners?

Your CD only needs to have a valid bar code in our database. It doesn’t need to be printed on the CD itself. If you don’t have a bar code, we can make you one for $20.
My CD is not shrink wrapped. Is that a problem for Digital 1 Media Services partners?
If your CD is not shrink wrapped, we will shrink wrap it here before shipping to partners as required.
Do you still report my sales to Sounds can when I sell a CD through a Digital 1 Media Services partner?
The retailer will report the sale to Soundscan, not us.

Will Digital 1 Media Services Partners be distributing it to other big online stores?

Yes, our partners distribute to several other companies including CD Connection, CD Universe, and others worldwide.

How do I fix my cover art and/or album information on Amazon or other retail websites?

All Music Guide and Muze are among the main companies that provide album cover art and album information to on-line and brick and mortar retailers. We update them with new releases monthly but cannot control when that information is uploaded by individual websites and retailers.
To best ensure that your album is placed in the All Music Guide and Muze systems, and possibly have it reviewed by them, send them a copy.

What if my favorite local store doesn’t work with Media 1 Digital Services distribution partners?

Please have them contact us at orders@d1ms.org We’re always happy to meet new retailers and see how best we can work together.

What is a one-stop distributor?

A “one-stop” is a wholesaler that gets products from many different distributors, consolidating them into one central ordering system for retail stores.

A one-stop CD distributor offers retail stores everything from the Beatles to Miles Davis and now… you!


What kind of files should I upload?

Upload high quality files in either WAV or FLAC file formats. Files must be stereo, 44.1 kHz sample rate, and 16bit. You can also upload MP3 files that meet these specifications, though we don’t recommend it be sure to click the ‘upload album tracks’ button after selecting your tracks!

Please note that your tracks must meet all of our and our partner’s standards before we begin processing your album submission. If there are any problems, we will email you immediately so you can upload new tracks.

Why don’t you recommend I upload MP3s?

It’s like this: every file is encoded and any quality reduction is locked in. We encode many different formats for our various digital partners. If you upload MP3 files (which are not full quality) the files we send to our partners will not only have the inherent quality loss of the format we encode to, but will also have the quality loss of the format you sent us.

So uploading MP3s is kind of like taking a picture of a picture with a digital camera and emailing it to us. Then when we encode it to send it to partners, it’s like we print out the picture of a picture, take a picture of it with a digital camera, and email it to them. It makes much more sense if you send us the original picture, i.e. FLAC or WAV files.

What kind of image file should I upload?

Your cover art must be:
1500 x 1500 pixels
JPG file type
72 – 300dpi (300dpi is the best) Less than 25mb RGB color scheme (not CMYK) Unique to this particular title. We cannot accept artwork that has been used for another title. Uploaded image must match your physical album cover artwork.

IMPORTANT: If your artist name and the title of your album or single appear on your cover artwork, it MUST precisely match the information you provided for this project. The text should be identical. For instance, if the artist name you provided is “Simon & Garfunkel (featuring Hall & Oates),” the text on your artwork should NOT say “Simon and Garfunkel.”

How long will it take for my cover art to display in my member account?

Be sure to click the “confirm uploaded album art” button after selecting your cover art! Once you’ve confirmed your uploaded album art, it will take between 24 and 48 hours to appear in your member account.

What happens if my cover art image is not perfectly square?

The uploader will not accept a file that isn’t perfectly square. If your cover art isn’t exactly <1500 x 1500>, you will need to resize and/or crop the image before uploading.

What kinds of things are not allowed on my cover art?

You may NOT upload artwork that displays the following:
Website URL
Social network symbols or information (i.e., Facebook links, Twitter handles, etc.).
Contact information (i.e., email addresses, phone number)
Pornographic images
Pricing information
Copyrighted images
Scan of a CD (it must be retail-ready artwork)
UPC barcodes
Tribute albums where the original artist name is as large as or larger than the performing artist
The cover art refers to physical or digital versions of the album (i.e., CD, Disc, Digital Exclusive, Digital Version, etc.)
The cover image is blurry, pixilated or has other quality issues
The cover art promises content that the album doesn’t contain (i.e., “includes DVD”, “includes free stickers”, etc.)
The cover art up-sells to another product (i.e., merch, other albums by same artist, etc.)
The cover art claims to be an exclusive of one of our digital partners without their permission (i.e., iTunes™ Exclusive, Only on Amazon MP3, etc.)

Can Media 1 Digital Services pull my music from SoundCloud?

For single-song submissions—yes. During the signup process, you’ll be asked to either upload your track directly or have Media 1 Digital Services pull the audio from your SoundCloud account.

If you opt for us to pull the audio from SoundCloud, you’ll then be asked to authenticate your SoundCloud account and choose the track you’d like us to import.

We accept WAV, FLAC, and MP3 file formats (minimum of 128kbps). The track must be in stereo (NO mono) and at a 44.1kHz sample rate.

Why can’t Media 1 Digital Services pull my whole album from SoundCloud?

SoundCloud does not organize music in terms of albums, only single songs and playlists. For this reason, we can’t import a full album from SoundCloud. If you’re signing up an album for Digital 1 Media Services distribution, please upload the tracks directly from your hard drive.

What kind of tracks can Digital 1 Media Services import from my SoundCloud account?

We accept WAV, FLAC, and MP3 file formats (minimum of 128kbps). The track must be in stereo (NO mono) and at a 44.1kHz sample rate.

I’m getting an error message when Digital 1 Media Services attempts to pull audio from my SoundCloud account. What do I do?

That depends on the error message, of course. Here are a few options:

If your SoundCloud account has no audio, you’ll see a warning that says, “No Audio – Oops! It looks like you do not have any audio in your SoundCloud account.” In this event, feel free to upload your track directly from your hard drive by clicking the “Upload” option at the top of the page.

If your track does not meet our requirements (minimum of 128kbps stereo file at 44.1kHz sample rate), you will see the applicable warning and be asked to select a different track from your SoundCloud account or to upload the correct track directly to Media 1 Digital Services.

What do I do after Digital 1 Media Services has pulled the audio for my single from my SoundCloud account?

Once we’ve confirmed the audio has been successfully pulled from SoundCloud, you will be asked to confirm that the chosen track is the correct audio by clicking the “confirm track and continue” button. From that point, you can finish the Media 1 Digital Services submission process for your single.


When will I get paid?

Our partners’ payment schedules range from monthly to quarterly. iTunes™, for instance, reports to us roughly 6 weeks after the end of any given month. So if you sold a download in the middle of the month, it could be up to 2 months before that sale is reported in your Digital 1 Media Services account.
Digital 1 Media Services pays out on the 1st of each calendar month.

How will you get the money to me?

You tell us how you want to get paid (check, ACH deposit to bank account, PayPal). The minimum amount before you get paid has to exceed $100 owed balance to reach before we pay you. Any time you reach your pay point, we’ll pay you the following month. Please keep in mind that Digital 1 Media Services charges $1.50 processing fee per paper check payment within the US, and international ACH direct deposits have a $2.50 USD processing fee. Please

click here

to see a complete list of processing fees and payment options.

How do sales and payments work?

You’ll see a few different types of sales in your account.
Downloads: A download is a purchase of your music where the actual audio file is transferred to the customer’s computer or mobile device. Every time someone downloads your music, you’ll get paid.
Most of your download partners pay a standard rate for each song sold. However, some of our subscription-based download partners’ payout rates change month to month based on their revenue for that period.
Streams: A stream is basically the same thing as a “listen.” The customer is able to listen to your song on their computer, in their car, on their mobile device, but they are not purchasing the song to own. No file is downloaded. Payments for streams vary from fractions of a penny to a few cents per play.
Streams fall into two categories:

1. Tethered steams, where your device/computer must be online in order to hear the music.
2. Non-tethered streams, where your player can stream songs while NOT connected to the internet, as long as the streaming service has verified the customer has paid their subscription fee for the month. No pay – no play.

What is the minimum “pay point” I can select?

Your “pay point” is $100 the minimum balance to reach before we pay you. Any time you reach your pay point of $100, we’ll pay you the following Month. The minimum allowable “pay point” is $100.

What countries support direct bank (ACH) payments?

We can make ACH payments to bank accounts in the following countries and currencies:
North America
Canada (CAD or USD)
Mexico (MXN)
United States (USD)
Australia / Asia
Australia (AUD)
Hong Kong (HKD)
India (INR)
New Zealand (NZD)
Singapore (SGD)
Europe – All payments are sent in Euros (EUR) except where indicated
Czech Republic
Saint Pierre et Miquelon
United Kingdom – England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland (GBP)
If the Euro is not your national currency, and your national currency is not listed next to your country, please contact your bank to confirm you can receive deposits in EUR.

Will my payments be deposited in US Dollars?

We remit payment in US Dollars. For US bank accounts the funds will be deposited in US Dollars. For non-US bank accounts, the funds will be converted to your local currency. Based on currency fluctuations, your local deposit may vary from week to week even if the US Dollar payment remains the same. Your local bank may charge a separate fee to receive these payments; please contact them for confirmation. It may take a few business days for the funds to reach your account.

Are there any fees associated with receiving Digital 1 Media Services payments?

Yes, some payment methods have fees depending on where you live. See the chart below. Fees listed are in U.S. Dollars. NOTE: Some banks outside of the U.S. may charge a fee to cash a U.S. check. Contact your bank to see if any additional fees apply.

Payment fees – location ACH Check PayPal
US — $1.50 $1.50
Outside US $2.50 — $1.50
Return fees – location ACH Check PayPal
US — — —
Euro Zone $40 — —
Other Countries $20 — —

I live in Europe and want to use direct deposit. What banking details do you need?

If you live in Europe inside the SEPA (Single European Payment Area) zone, you will need to provide us with your IBAN (International Bank Account Number) and SWIFT BIC (the Bank Identifier Code), and the name of your bank. To see a full list of countries we offer direct deposit for, please click here.

How do I find out my IBAN or SWIFT BIC?

Please contact your bank to obtain your IBAN (International Bank Account Number) and the SWIFT BIC for your bank’s branch office.

I live in Canada. What account information do I need to provide?

Your account number will be up to 12-digits long and should not include leading 0’s.

The EFT routing number is 9-digits long and will always begin with a 0. It is made up of a 4-digit institution ID number, followed by a 5-digit branch transit number. This information can be found on your check or by contacting your bank.

What if my bank is located in a different country than where I live?

No problem! On the Payment Details page, enter your bank’s address under “Payment Information.” Next, enter your banking information under “How should we pay you.”


Does Digital 1 Media Services collect digital performance royalties from SoundExchange?

Yes. We’ve recently partnered with SoundExchange to identify unclaimed digital performance royalties for sound recordings owed to Digital 1 Media Services members. We’ve matched Digital 1 Media Services entire back catalogue with SoundExchange’s unclaimed royalties pool to see what has gone unclaimed by our members. We will be registering the songs that are currently unclaimed and paying the proceeds of the “Label Share” into member accounts. All songs not in the unclaimed royalty pool at SoundExchange will be unaffected.

We’ll also be offering Digital Performance Royalty Administration to all members for new releases on an opt-in basis.

What are digital performance royalties for sound recordings? (Also known as non-interactive royalties)

These are royalties owed to the artists who performed on a song (or spoken word or comedy album) and the owner of the sound recording any time that track is played via non-interactive streaming (meaning someone did NOT click to hear a specific song) on services such as Pandora, Sirius XM, and cable TV radio stations.
These “non-interactive” royalties are divided as follows:

*This amount is paid to the label, rights owner or royalty administrator.
*This amount is paid directly to the main performing artists.
*This amount is paid to the backing musicians.
It’s important to note that Digital Performance Royalties for sound recordings aren’t related to publishing rights, so no portion of this royalty is owed to publishers or songwriters. With this type of royalty, it’s all about the recording, not the underlying song/composition. Performing Rights Organizations such as ASCAP and BMI do NOT collect Digital Performance Royalties for sound recordings. Instead, they’re collected by SoundExchange, which holds the funds until the appropriate parties register with them to claim the money.

So, what happens if I have unclaimed royalties at SoundExchange?

If you have royalties in the unclaimed pool we will collect and remit 91% of the total into your member account. You will receive an email from us letting you know that there is money from SoundExchange in your account along with instructions on how you can go and register to collect the “Artist Share”, which represents 50% of the total royalty and will not be collected by Digital 1 Media Services. When signing up as an artist, you may also register to collect the label share yourself and discontinue Digital 1 Media Services administration of these royalties on your behalf. If you do not, on these songs.

Registering for the Artist Share is important because after three years, that unclaimed money gets passed on to major labels and top-earning artists based on their market share. We don’t want you to lose out on that money!

Can’t artists get these royalties directly from SoundExchange?

Yes you can, and many artists do. If you want to go direct to SoundExchange, you should absolutely do that. However, we have found that the SoundExchange registration process (especially when registering as a sound recording copyright owner) can be confusing and tends to trip up artists. Therefore, many Digital 1 Media Services artists have never registered to collect these royalties. In that event, we’ll inform SoundExchange who the rights holder is, and collect unclaimed royalties on your behalf.

I’m already registered with SoundExchange to collect royalties directly. Will Digital 1 Media Services try and collect on my behalf?

If you’re already claiming your own royalties directly from SoundExchange, great! You will continue to do so. Digital 1 Media Services is only registering songs with unclaimed royalties sitting at SoundExchange, so no claims will be made on your songs, ever.

What if I’m not registered with SoundExchange, may have unclaimed royalties, but still do not want Digital 1 Media Services registering my unclaimed songs?

That’s fine. Simply opt out of SoundExchange royalty collection from the Digital Deliveries Cancellation page for previously delivered titles. If you do, please remember to register with SoundExchange directly. Otherwise, after three years, your unclaimed royalties will get paid to megastars and giant labels that don’t need any more money, let alone YOUR money.

What happens to my unclaimed royalties being held at SoundExchange if they are never claimed?

After three years, SoundExchange releases any unclaimed royalties into the sunset, which basically means that money gets scooped up by the major labels and top-selling artists.

We don’t want your royalties getting paid to some major label that had nothing to do with the creation of your tracks, so if you haven’t registered directly with SoundExchange, we’ll collect the label portion of your digital performance royalties.

Can I Opt-In to SoundExchange royalty collection on new releases?

Yes. On new submissions, you can select SoundExchange royalty collection as a “store” when you set up your digital releases. New submissions will be registered with SoundExchange on your behalf and we will collect and distribute the Label Share of royalties earned from them until you tell us to stop. Selecting SoundExchange for a new release will not affect the collection of SoundExchange royalties on any of your other songs.

Please note: Digital 1 Media Services Free and lgnretail.com-Only titles will not be delivered to SoundExchange at this time.


What is Sync Licensing?

Sync licensing, or “Synchronization,” refers to the use of music in films, TV shows, commercials, video games, presentations, YouTube videos, or anything else where a song is “synced” to moving images.
When a song is licensed for sync, a fee is paid to the songwriter/publisher for the usage of the underlying composition, AND to the copyrighter owner of the master recording for the use of the track.
If you wrote the song and haven’t sold the rights, you are the publisher. If you own the recording, you are the copyright holder. In this case you would get paid both fees.

What is Digital 1 Media Services sync licensing program?

Digital 1 Media Services is working to help artists generate new revenue by licensing their music for movies, TV shows, ads, video games YouTube. We promote your music directly to music supervisors, advertising agencies and TV producers to get your music placed, and work with our partner Rumblefish to monetize your music on YouTube and other UGC video platforms.

For placements in traditional media such as commercials, films and television, you keep 60% of the fees we collect on your behalf.

For monetized views on YouTube and other UGC platforms, you keep 70% of the income we collect.

Why Should I opt in?

Sync licensing has not only become one of the major revenue streams for today’s independent artist, but it’s also one of the most effective ways of finding new fans.

In addition to sync opportunities in film, TV, advertisements, and video games, Digital 1 Media Services Sync Licensing Program also helps you make money from the usage of your music on YouTube.

We’ve paid over 5 million dollars in YouTube ad revenue to Digital 1 Media Services artists, and that figure is growing rapidly — since YouTube has become both the #1 music discovery tool online AND the #1 preferred platform for listening to music among music fans younger than 18.

How much does it cost?

There is no fee for existing Digital 1 Media Services members to opt in for Sync Licensing; it is included with your Standard and Pro submission fees.

Will opting-in for sync licensing affect other licensing arrangements I have in place with other companies?
It depends on the arrangements you have made with other sync licensing companies. If you have an exclusive deal with another company, yes, it will interfere. If you have a non-exclusive deal with another sync company, there shouldn’t be any problems.

However, the YouTube Monetization portion of our Sync Licensing program IS EXCLUSIVE, so you need to make sure that you haven’t granted those particular rights to anyone else.

Can I terminate my licensing deal, and how does that work?

Yes. You may opt out at any time, on the Sync Licensing page of your Digital 1 Media Services Members account. Simply change your License Type to “Cancel” and within seven days of your opting out we will remove your music from our licensing program. You may also opt back in if you so choose. Keep in mind that opting out of our Sync Distribution program will not invalidate any licenses that were purchased during the time that your album was opted in.

How long does it take for my tracks to be available for licensing after signing up?

2-4 weeks from delivery.

Am I giving up any important rights by signing this agreement?

No. With our Sync Licensing Program, you retain ownership of all of your copyrights. However, you ARE granting non-exclusive rights for synchronization so that your music can be used for syncs in TV, advertising, video games and film without your direct approval. A song that has been pre-approved is always more desirable in the eyes of music supervisors and production teams who are looking to license your music.
You are also granting an exclusive license for Digital 1 Media Services (via Rumblefish) to monetize your music on YouTube and other user-generated-content networks.

Can I specify which territories my music will be available for license in?

No. By opting in to Sync Licensing, you are granting us the right to license your music worldwide.

What different types of licenses will be offered?

When you opt in for Digital 1 Media Services Sync Licensing program, you can choose between:

All Media: This grants us the right to license your music for film, television, video games, YouTube, presentations, and anything else that pays. (Including all MicroSync opportunities).

MicroSync: This includes any type of project or production that makes use of multimedia or new media platforms. Examples include website-music, online video sharing (e.g., videos on YouTube), presentations, and apps (including app-games). This also includes a limited right for users to make physical copies (but not more than 100) of their production or project.

Will I be notified when my music has been licensed?

You will not be notified immediately when your music is licensed for a commercial, TV show, video game or film… You will be made aware of all licenses in your members accounting section as payments are received and processed.

Will I be able to choose/approve license requests?

No. By opting into the Sync Licensing Program you are “pre-authorizing” sync uses of your music. The sync world often moves very, very quickly, and this “pre-authorization” will help give us the most flexibility in terms of opportunities for licensing your music.

“>How will people find my music?

We will promote your music to thousands of music supervisors and licensing professionals worldwide who will have direct access to our entire sync library via a user-friendly, searchable database. We need your help in providing us with metadata that describes your music accurately. Taking special care in adding proper genres and descriptive terms when setting up your submission will help make sure your music gets discovered.

Who might want to license my music?

TV networks, advertising agencies, as well as major and independent film production companies, game studios, and internet companies such as YouTube.

How much do I get paid?

The short answer is: it depends completely on the type of usage of your music. For placements in movies, commercials, and TV, the payments for sync licensing will typically be larger, but they are different for every project. When your music is added to videos on YouTube, you’ll make money from the ad revenue generated on those videos. Ad revenue payments will also vary for videos where YouTube has identified your music in the content ID process.

Like everything in the business, there are few accurate ways to gauge success in advance. But remember, it costs nothing to opt in. Sync licensing is a great way to get your music working for you, so it’s added revenue that you probably weren’t seeing before.

How quickly can I expect my music to be licensed?

Patience, matching the right music to the right project takes time. We WILL start monetizing YouTube videos that use your music, though, within a couple weeks.

Do I get to control sync rates?

No. Small sync deals like YouTube have a standard rate, and we will negotiate on your behalf for larger deals.

How often will I be paid?

Quarterly. Payments will be visible in the accounting section of your Digital 1 Media Services Member account.

I represent (and have to pay) several artists. Will I have detailed royalty reports? What information will the reports contain?

You will be treated as the sole music provider in your royalty statements. If you have side agreements with other band members or writers, you are responsible for negotiating payouts with your colleagues.

Can I sign up my cover songs for sync licensing?

No. Cover songs will be excluded from Digital 1 Media Services Sync Licensing Program (because it’d require getting permissions from and paying fees to the publishers/songwriters).

What is a P.R.O.?

A P.R.O is a Performing Rights Organization (like ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SOCAN, etc.). Artists can affiliate with one of these groups to collect performance royalties on their behalf. When you have a song placed on a TV show or commercial, not only will you earn money from the licensing fee, but you will be owed royalties for the “public performance” of that song on TV, radio, etc. Registering with a P.R.O. will help ensure you are properly paid those royalties. For help with P.R.O. registration, check out Digital 1 Media Services Pro

What is required to be eligible for Digital 1 Media Services Sync Licensing?

You must be opted in for MP3 distribution through Digital 1 Media Services. CD-only titles are not eligible… You can opt-in your new titles during the submission process, or for existing titles, you can opt-in at this link.

Can I opt in for traditional sync opportunities but NOT for MicroSync?

No. At this time, both our sync licensing options include MicroSync.

What percentage do I earn from sync placements?

For sync placements in traditional media such as commercials, films and television, you keep 60% of the fees we collect on your behalf.

What percentage do I keep from the usage of my music on YouTube?

You earn 70% of the total revenue generated from the usage of your music on YouTube. Digital 1 Media Services keeps only 30%.


How do I make money from YouTube?

There are two ways you can earn ad revenue from YouTube.
Monetizing your songs: With Digital 1 Media Services YouTube Monetization Program, we’ll make sure YouTube identifies ANY video that uses your music — and we’ll make sure you get paid a share of the ad revenue.
Monetizing your YouTube channel: When you monetize your channel, you are able to make money off the videos you upload directly to your channel (whether or not they have your music). This does NOT monetize your songs across YouTube, meaning that when you monetize your channel, you are NOT making money from videos uploaded by your fans or other YouTube users.

Why should I have Digital 1 Media Services help me monetize my music on YouTube?

We make it easy, and there’s no charge to get started (besides your initial Digital 1 Media Services signup fee).
No need to set up another account: you’re already distributing your music through Digital 1 Media Services!
You keep 100% of the ownership rights to your music. We just help you collect ad revenue for the usage of your music — ANYWHERE on YouTube.

You earn money when other people use your music in their videos, something you cannot do on your own.
Digital 1 Media Services can also help you license your songs for film, TV, commercials, games, and more.

How do my songs and videos generate revenue on YouTube?

All the money is generated by ads on the videos. You’ll earn money from an ad on your video if someone:
Clicks the text or banner ad watches the entire commercial, or at least 30 seconds of the commercial (if it’s longer than 30 seconds).

Do I still own all my rights?

Absolutely. You always keep 100% of your rights. We just help you get paid.

How do I know if I qualify for YouTube monetization?

Do you own the rights to the master recording and the composition (lyrics and melody)? If so, you qualify. In other words, you can’t monetize cover songs. But otherwise, you’re all set!

I’m already collecting ad revenue on my own YouTube channel. Will you now take a commission on that?

If you are already making money from monetizing your YouTube channel, Digital 1 Media Services will still collect revenue for the videos that contain your songs that are a part of our YouTube monetization program. You can do one of the following things:

Keep things simple and let us take over the management of ad revenues for your YouTube channel. There are no payout thresholds to meet when you go through Digital 1 Media Services.

Have Digital 1 Media Services “whitelist” your channel. This will allow you to continue collect revenues directly from your channel while giving Digital 1 Media Services the ability to collect ad revenue whenever your music appears in someone else’s video.

Opt-out of Digital 1 Media Services YouTube monetization program. However, this will remove your music from YouTube’s Content ID system that enables you to make money off of other videos on YouTube that are using your music.

When will I see results?

Well, YouTube has billions of videos — so it can take up to a few weeks for them to identify all the videos that use your music and index them accordingly with their Content ID system. Once they are indexed, YouTube will start running ads on those videos.

What if my music appears in a YouTube video that is embedded on someone’s website or social media profile?
YouTube will still place ads on the video and you will still get paid a share of any ad revenue generated by that video.

Do I get paid every time someone watches a YouTube video with my music in it?

You get paid when someone clicks on the ad, so technically, no. You don’t get paid for the views of the video. You get paid if someone clicks an ad or watches a commercial before the video. That being said, the more views a video gets, the more ad revenue it will generate.

How much money will I make?

YouTube ads are similar to Google ads. It’s essentially an ad-placement auction. The amount you earn for each clicked ad, while small, will vary according to a number of factors, so it’s difficult to make predictions. The bottom line is this: the more people who watch videos that use your music, the higher the probability of clicked ads. The more ads clicked, the more you earn.

What percentage does Digital 1 Media Services keep?

Digital 1 Media Services keeps only 15%. You earn 85% of the total revenue generated from the usage of your music on YouTube.

When will I get paid?

YouTube reports ad revenue quarterly. If you’ve earned money, we’ll pay it to you the following Month.

Why did I get a message saying that Digital 1 Media Services is claiming my song on YouTube?

The warning you may be seeing in your YouTube channel is appearing because YouTube knows that Digital 1 Media Services is authorized to collect ad revenue for any videos that use your music. You own 100% of the rights to your songs; you’ve just granted us the license to help you monetize your songs on YouTube.

Why did I get a notice from YouTube telling me I don’t control the rights to my own videos?

YouTube’s content ID system finds every video on YouTube that uses your music, including videos in your own channel.

That’s why you’ve received a notice like this:
Your Video may include music that is owned by a third party.
Your video is available and playable.
Here are the details:

“YOUR SONG”, sound recording administered by: Digital 1 Media Services
If you’d like Digital 1 Media Services to collect ad revenue for those videos, just click the “acknowledge” link next to the video.

Can a content creator who put my song in their video block the ads on that video?

Nope. It’s your music — and you deserve to be able to monetize your songs on YouTube. If they don’t like ads on their videos, they’ll have to remove them from YouTube.

I’ve found videos on YouTube that use my music. Should I have them taken down?

No. With Digital 1 Media Services YouTube Monetization Program, you make money for the usage of your music on ANY YouTube video. In fact, you should encourage more of your fans to use your music in their videos on YouTube.

Doesn’t ASCAP or BMI already collect this money for me?

Performing Rights Organizations like ASCAP, BMI and SESAC collect performance royalties (paid to songwriters and publishers).

They do NOT collect ad revenue for the usage of songs on YouTube. That’s where Digital 1 Media Services YouTube Monetization Program comes in.

But if you’d like to make sure you’re earning all the publishing royalties you’re owed worldwide, check out Digital 1 Media Services Pro.

How long am I locked into your YouTube Monetization Program for?

You can cancel at any time.

How do I opt out of your YouTube Monetization Program?

To cancel an album or single from our YouTube monetization partner Rumblefish, you will first need to login to your members account.

Then click the VIEW/EDIT button for the album or single.

Under the first list of links “BASIC * INFO”, click CANCEL THIS ALBUM and follow the steps to tell us how you want to remove this listing.

Choose “Cancel from Specific Partners” and only pick Rumblefish from the list. Be sure to not accidentally cancel other digital partners. Only check the services you wish to have removed.


Why do you need to return or recycle my albums?

Our warehouse space must accommodate almost half a million artists, so we cannot store greater quantities than that projected 6-month supply. If we have an excess of any of your titles, we’ll notify you by email. At that point, you can go to your Digital 1 Media Services members account and tell us whether you’d prefer to have your excess stock recycled or mailed back to you at your expense.

How do you determine what is “excess inventory”?

We always make sure to have at least one copy of each title no matter what. After the first year of sales, anything above the projected supply (based on previous sales) will be considered excess inventory eligible for return or recycling.

Yes and no. You CANNOT use the Inventory Management system in your members account to change the return quantity. But you CAN contact us at physical@d1ms.org if you want additional units returned or recycled. Make sure to include your name, artist name, album title, and the additional quantity you’d like returned/recycled in that email.

Can I request to have you ship more or less items back than you originally flagged as excess?

“>What if my album starts selling more copies before you return them?

We will not return over the amount you authorized on the Inventory Management page of your members account, which means we should still have enough stock to supply orders.

If you’ve requested that we return your stock but have new sales come in before we’ve shipped your package, we’ll subtract those purchased items from the quantity we’d planned to return and mail you the remainder. You will only be charged shipping costs for the ACTUAL quantity we ship back to you.

Digital 1 Media Services has had my CDs forever! Why are you asking to return them now?

Our warehouse is big, but it’s not infinite—which means allot artists selling music through us, we can’t keep more than a 6-month supply of CDs on-hand.

We’ll always keep at least one copy of every album, and we’ll also continue to make your music available digitally on our partners’ sites (iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, etc.) forever.

Who pays for excess stock that is returned?

The artist can choose to have us recycle stock (at no cost) or have us mail the excess quantity back to them at their own expense (at the same shipping rates for Digital 1 Media Services customers).

What is recycling?

When recycle is chosen, we work with a company to pick up “recycled” CDs and break them back down into their raw materials. The recycling company can then resell the raw materials, keep CDs out of landfills, and prevent CDs from showing up at retail stores as used or discount merchandise.

Who pays if I want my CDs recycled?

Recycling is offered free of charge.


What types of royalties do you collect?

Digital 1 Media Services Pro collects the publisher’s share of performance and mechanical royalties for compositions on behalf of songwriters. We collect these from the US and abroad via Performing Rights Organizations and other collection agencies. We also collect the label portion of any unclaimed* non-interactive digital performance royalties for sound recordings from SoundExchange.

Performance royalty sources (included but not limited to):

Radio stations (terrestrial, satellite)

TV stations (network, cable)

Live venues (stadiums, bars, restaurants)

Online streaming services (Spotify, Rhapsody)

Mechanical royalty sources (included but not limited to):

Interactive streaming services (Spotify, Rhapsody)

Sales of music outside the US (iTunes, Amazon)

Any royalties relating to the recorded performance of a song (e.g. SoundExchange) is not part of revenue generated by Digital 1 Media Services Pro.

* We only collect unclaimed digital performance royalties for sound recordings. If you’re already registered with SoundExchange, you will continue to be paid by them directly.

What are performance royalties?

Performance royalties are paid by Performing Rights Organizations to songwriters and publishers for the public broadcast of music. These royalties come from blanket license fees paid to Performing Rights Organizations by businesses who broadcast music (e.g. radio / TV stations, live venues, restaurants).

There is no set rate for performance royalties – they vary quarter-by-quarter depending on variable factors, such as the total amount of license fees collected by the Performing Rights Organization.

What are mechanical royalties?

Mechanical royalties must be paid by a third-party (normally a record label) for the recording, manufacture and distribution of copyright-protected music.

The current statutory mechanical royalty rate for physical recordings (such as CDs) and permanent digital downloads is 9.1¢ for recordings of a song 5 minutes or less, and 1.75¢ per minute or fraction thereof for those over 5 minutes. These rates only apply to compulsory licenses as outlined in Section 115 of the 1976 U.S. Copyright Act.

You are also able to directly negotiate regarding the terms of mechanical licenses you issue – whether to your record label or other artists/labels seeking to cover your songs. D1ms does not offer any advice with regards to these sorts of agreements. We will also not be collecting mechanicals from releases that an artist puts out through their own label.

From which countries do you collect?

Digital 1 Media Services Pro collects performance and mechanical royalties from most major international markets. These include: US, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Japan, Canada, Australia, Netherlands and more.

Doesn’t ASCAP or BMI already collect all my worldwide publishing royalties?

No. Performing Rights Organizations such as ASCAP and BMI collect performance royalties worldwide, but there are many other types of publishing royalties they don’t collect. For example, they do NOT collect mechanical royalties. Digital 1 Media Services Pro can collect your mechanical earnings for you.

When you register your songs with ASCAP, BMI or SESAC, they share their data with foreign PROs so you can get paid for foreign performances. When you sign up for Digital 1 Media Services Pro, we’ll ensure that your P.R.O. song registrations are correctly listed all over the world.

When should I expect my first royalty payments?

If you’re affiliating with a Performance Rights Organization for the first time, the earliest you could possibly see royalties is 6 – 9 months after affiliation. Those already affiliated with a Performing Rights Organization at the time of joining Digital 1 Media Services Pro should not see any interruption to their existing royalty collection.

How often do you pay my royalties?

Digital 1 Media Services distributes royalties quarterly. We pay as quickly as possible after receiving distributions from all collection societies. Generally, US societies are 2 quarters behind (e.g. 4th quarter 2013 payments will include uses from the 2nd quarter of 2013). Societies outside the US vary from 2 – 4 quarters behind.

These royalty payments are dependent on the use of your song in a particular quarter. There are no guarantees that by joining Digital 1 Media Services Pro, you will receive publishing royalties.

From Digital 1 Media Services, you receive payment of the publisher’s share of your royalties. The songwriter’s share will be sent directly to you from your Performing Rights Organization.

How much can I expect to earn from royalties?

The amount of royalties you make will depend on a multitude of factors. It’s not currently possible for Digital 1 Media Services Pro to estimate royalty amounts before the fact.

Royalty amounts depend on factors such as:

use of your music in broadcast (e.g. radio, TV)

use of your music from streaming (e.g. Spotify)

sales of your music overseas (e.g. iTunes)
the territories in which your music is used

Do you collect my co-writers’ royalties too?

We can only collect royalties for Digital 1 Media Services Pro songwriters. You can add royalty collection for additional songwriters for a one-time $10 fee per writer. If you co-write with non- Digital 1 Media Services Pro songwriters, we collect no royalties on their behalf.

If two Digital 1 Media Services Pro songwriters write together on a song – and one has their own publishing company, but the other does not – one will appear with their own publishing company as an original publisher and Digital 1 Media Services Publishing will appear as their administrator. For the other writer, Digital 1 Media Services will appear as their original publisher. We will collect on behalf of both songwriters.

Can you collect royalties from my songs already registered with a Performing Rights Organization?

Absolutely. We will simply need a Letter of Direction to let your Performing Rights Organization know that we’re able to collect on your behalf.

What is a CAE/IPI number?

An IPI/CAE number is a nine-digit international identification number assigned to songwriters and publishers to uniquely identify rights holders. Your IPI/CAE number is available in the repertories of all Performing Rights Organizations and can be found by searching for your name in their respective databases.

How do I collect royalties when my song is covered by another artist or released by a third party?

If your song is manufactured and sold by a third-party, you are entitled to a mechanical royalty. This will be paid to you by the third-party releasing the album for sale. This third-party could be a label releasing your songs, or a label / artist covering your songs.

All Digital 1 Media Services Pro clients will have their songs registered with Harry Fox Agency for easy mechanical licensing via Songfile. We will also collect mechanicals from compulsory licenses via our partners at Easy Song Licensing and Loudr.fm.

How soon after my song is broadcast (e.g. on radio) will I get paid?

With all Performing Rights Organizations, there is a lag period between the date of the use and the royalty payment. The lag in the US is normally between 6 – 9 months.

How far back can you collect?

Digital 1 Media Services Pro collects royalties going forward from the time of joining. In certain instances, a songwriter may have retroactive royalties to collect. These almost never go back further than one year – and we make no guarantees about our ability to collect retroactively.

“>Why do you need my W-9 information?

A signed W-9 form is required by the IRS for anyone receiving money from royalty payments. Without this, we cannot pay you.

Are you collecting royalties for artists in specific regions, or worldwide?


Do you collect digital performance royalties for comedy and spoken word tracks too?

Yes indeed. We collect for music, spoken word, and comedy — worldwide.

Does this affect the ownership of masters or publishing?

No. As with our distribution services, our terms say we are only authorized to collect and administer income on our members’ behalf. You still own and control your copyrights.

How is this different from income from Spotify or other streaming services?

Spotify is an interactive service and negotiates its rates directly with labels or their distributors and pays them directly. We get paid on your behalf by companies like Spotify.

Rates for non-interactive streams (like Pandora) are set by the government and paid to SoundExchange or negotiated directly with the distributor. We will collect these royalties from SoundExchange on your behalf if you have not registered with them directly.

Can I join Digital 1 Media Services Pro if I’m already with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, or SOCAN?

Yes. Digital 1 Media Services Pro acts only as your publishing administrator, meaning we are complimentary to your existing affiliation with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SOCAN, or PRS.

Once you’re with Digital 1 Media Services Pro, the publisher’s share of any performance royalties will be sent to Digital 1 Media Services by your Performing Rights Organization. We then combine this with any other royalties (e.g. mechanicals, international) and distribute to you in one payment.

Note: the writer’s share of public performance royalties will always be sent to you directly by your PRO.

Can I join if I’m not affiliated with ASCAP, BMI, SOCAN, or SESAC?

Yes (except in the UK, where you must affiliate with PRS first before joining Digital 1 Media Services Pro). In fact, Digital 1 Media Services Pro makes it easy for you to affiliate with a performing rights organization such as ASCAP, BMI or SESAC.

Upon sign-up with Digital 1 Media Services Pro, you will be asked to designate the Performing Rights Organization of your choice (ASCAP, BMI, etc.). Tell us a little bit about your songs and the songwriters involved, and we’ll handle the rest. Even better, any affiliation fees are included.
Again, songwriters in the UK must be affiliated with PRS directly before they can get started with Digital 1 Media Services Pro.

Once you’re with Digital 1 Media Services Pro, the publisher’s share of any performance royalties will be sent to Digital 1 Media Services by your PRO. We then combine this with any other royalties (e.g. mechanicals, international) and distribute to you in one payment.

Note: the writer’s share of public performance royalties will always be sent to you directly by your PRO.

Can I join if I have my own publishing company?

Yes indeed! Digital 1 Media Services will act as the publishing administrator of your publishing company, meaning we can register songs and collect royalties on your company’s behalf. Upon sign up, you will be asked to sign a Letter of Direction that allows us register songs and collect royalties on your behalf of your publishing company. Once you’re with Digital 1 Media Services Pro, the publisher’s share of any performance royalties from your publishing company will be first sent to Digital 1 Media Services by your Performing Rights Organization. We then combine this with any other royalties (e.g. mechanicals, international) and distribute to you in one payment.
Note: the writer’s share of public performance royalties will always be sent to songwriters directly by your PRO.

Can I join if I already have a publishing deal?

When you join Digital 1 Media Services Pro, you’re entering into an exclusive publishing administration agreement. If you have an existing publishing administration deal, you will need to check very carefully to see if the terms of that agreement would prohibit joining Digital 1 Media Services Pro. In most instances, it will not be possible to join.

Can I join if I write music with others?

Absolutely! When you register songs via Digital 1 Media Services Pro, you need to provide us with the names and songwriting splits of any co-writers. We then register the song on your behalf and collect only your share.

Will you collect royalties for my co-writers?

If you choose, you can pay an additional $10 per songwriter and we will collect royalties on their behalf as well.

Can I join as a minor?

If you’re already affiliated with a Performing Rights Organization as a minor, then we will require only a Letter of Direction to begin collecting royalties on your behalf.

A minor affiliating with a Performing Rights Organization for the first time is required to submit a paper application along with any applicable fees. Digital 1 Media Services cannot do this for you


With whom do you register my songs?

Digital 1 Media Services Pro registers your songs with Performing Rights Organizations and collection societies in the US and abroad for the collection of publishing royalties. For example:

Performance: ASCAP, BMI, SESAC
Mechanical: Harry Fox, Music Reports, Sound Exchange

Performance: SOCAN
Mechanical: CMRRA

Performance: PRS for Music
Mechanical: MCPS

Performance / mechanical: SACEM
Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg
Performance / mechanical: BUMA / STEMRA
…and more!

Do you register my songs with the US Copyright Office?

We do not register your songs with the US Copyright Office. We recommend that all clients copyright their works via copyright.gov.

Can I register a cover song?

It is not possible to register cover songs for the collection of publishing royalties. These royalties are only paid to the writers of an original song.

Can I register a remix, mash-up or song with samples?

Unless you have permission from all concerned parties, it is not possible to register songs with uncleared samples.

What information is needed to register a song?

In order to register a song, we require: song title, songwriter details (full names), and song splits.

What are song splits?

Song splits determine the percentage of royalties paid to songwriters from each song. These splits can be divvied up as per an agreement between each songwriter – often based on the percentage of input a songwriter provided to a song. Splits are always based on overall contribution out of 100%. Splits should be agreed upon before registering songs and total 100% per track.

Why do you ask about “lyrics” and “music”?

When registering songs, you are required to denote whether a songwriter contributed to lyrics (author), music (composer) or both. You denote this in absolute terms i.e. did they contribute anything to the lyrics / music? You do not need to break down lyrics and music by percent.

Can I collect royalties for songs written by others?

If you have not contributed to the writing of a song, we cannot register the song or collect royalties for it.

How many songwriters can I list on my song?

You must list all songwriters who contributed to the composition of your song. You should determine song splits – the percentage that each writer contributed – in advance of song registration.

Can I register songs with writers who are not Digital 1 Media Services Pro clients?

Absolutely! In fact, you must list all the songwriters for each song your register. We will only collect your share of royalties; the non- Digital 1 Media Services songwriters are responsible for their own royalty collection.

Can I register an arrangement of a public domain song?

No, we are not currently accepting public domain tracks for Digital 1 Media Services. Only original compositions are eligible.

Can I register an arrangement of a copyrighted song I did not write?

This can only be registered if there is permission from the copyright owner(s) of the published song. If a copyright owner has given permission to a composer/author to arrange their work, they must agree on splits for the arrangement.

Can I register a spoken word song?

Spoken word songs can only be registered if they are accompanied with an original musical background that is not based on public domain work, and also a substantial part of the recording contains background music.

Can I register instrumental versions of my songs?

Yes. These should be registered as new songs.

How long will it take for my songs to be registered?

Up to two months.


Do we provide Professional Mastering?

Yes, we provide professional mastering
Please see package Click here.

Do we provide Radio Promotions?

Yes, we provide professional radio promotions
Please see package Click here.

Do we provide Video productions?

Yes, we provide professional video production
Please see package Click here.

Do we provide Television Advertising?

Yes, we provide Television Advertising
Please see package Click here.

Do we provide Radio Tracking reports?

Yes, we provide Radio Tracking reports
Please see package Click here.